31 January 2009

Craving



After college, I was extremely fortunate to travel around South East Asia for several months. I started out in Bangkok and saw a bit of Thailand before heading south to Malaysia, Singapore and finally Indonesia.

All of these countries were amazingly beautiful. The people were so kind and generous. And the food! Oh. My. The food was so incredible.

On a small island off the coast of Lombok, Indonesia I was first introduced to Black Rice Pudding. Often served as breakfast with strong sweet tea, Burbur Injin with coconut cream became and instant favorite. I haven't had it since and there is a craving I can't shake - even more than 20 years later.

I am now officially on a quest to find a source for black glutinous rice and to perfect a recipe. My soul needs it.

Burbur Injin
• 1 cup black glutinous rice
• 3/4 cup white glutinous rice
• 2 pandan leaves (found at Asian markets)
• ¼ tsp sea salt
• 6 cups water
• ¼ cup palm or brown sugar
• 400ml tin coconut cream

Wash the rice thoroughly and soak it in cold water several hours or overnight.

Drain rice and combine with the water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil stirring occasionally.

Reduce heat to a simmer. Add pandan leaf and cook, partially covered, about 30 minutes or until rice is very tender stirring occasionally.

Add sugar and stir until it dissolves into the rice. Remove pandanus leaf.

Rice may be eaten warm, but is preferable at room temperature or cold.

Serve rice drizzled with coconut cream

5 comments:

natasha the exile on Mom Street said...

Mmmm. That sounds like an exotic and delicious breakfast.

What are the chances your kids will eat it?

Anonymous said...

Wow interesting. I just visited another blog this morning and they just left for SE Asia this morning! It all sounds so beautiful.

ChristineM said...

That sounds amazing!

FishermansDaughter said...

*mouth watering* I've never had it but it sounds/looks positively delicious. Good luck in your search for the ingredients.

K2 said...

Pandan leaf? I am SURE I do not have a source for this...

: )