I have several blogs that I read every day. Most, like me, tend to post during the week so a weekend without a post is common. What scares me though, is when a blog goes quiet with no prior warning of a vacation or some other planned absence. I worry about you gals even though I don't "know" you.
Well, my blog hasn't been updated in a week and I'm here to apologize to any of you who might have been concerned. We're OK. Or at least we're getting there.
Finn developed a cough last Tuesday, but it really wasn't concerning. Wednesday he had his cast removed in the morning and then I dropped him at daycare for the remainder of the day. By the time I picked the boys up, however, he had taken a down turn and looked miserable. Just before dinner his coughing got so bad that he threw up. That continued through the night.
We kept him home on Thursday and he was obviously not well. By afternoon I noticed he was breathing oddly and we decided to call the doctor. At 6:00 pm we brought him to the Emergent Care facility and after lots of pokes and prodding and a chest X-ray we were transferred (much to his delight) by ambulance to the hospital where we were admitted with double pneumonia/viral respiratory crud/asthma.
We spent three nights at the Hotel Barbara Bush otherwise known as the Barbara Bush Children's Hospital (OK, there's one good the Republicans have done in Maine... Really though, she's a lovely woman.) Finn in a wonderfully entertaining mechanical bed, me in a surprisingly comfortable cot next to him. Once we got his breathing under control he adjusted well, only once complaining Mama, I miss my home... Thankfully, the drugs helped him feel better almost immediately and then we just had to wait it out and try to entertain ourselves until he no longer needed help maintaining his O2 levels.
Imagine a four year old hooked up to an oxygen tank, all hopped up on Albuterol and Prednisone riding a tricycle around and around the hospital corridors while his sleep deprived, stressed out Mama chases him trying desperately not to take anyone out with the portable tank - Yeah, good times that.
We were sprung on Saturday and have been settling in to our regular routines while trying to keep Finn from overdoing it. He has a follow up with his pediatrician tomorrow, and here's whats keeping me awake still - he will be tested for Cystic Fibrosis on Friday. It's a long shot that he has it but still...If you're the praying type we could use a couple extra if you could send them our way.
Any how, that's the update and let me tell you, it's good to be home.